A New Guide to Online Ethics Will Change the Way You Use the Internet
Ethical helps you make principled purchases
“A man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon this world.” — Albert Camus
A web resource that tells you how to save the Earth? We can hear you clicking away already.
But what about an online resource that could help you save money, win back your online privacy, give you more control over what you see, hear and consume, and help you make purchasing decisions that align with your values (which might include being eco-friendly)?
Then you might want to consider clicking through to Ethical.
A recently launched online resource, this London-based non-profit suggests principled alternatives to the products and apps you use everyday.
Ethical is also an incredible resource for finding like-minded ethical TED Talks, books and online publications. As well, Ethical’s blog offers up daily think pieces, from “Household Cleaning — The Eco-Friendly Way” to vegan meat burger assessments and ethical ways to save on home electricity.
Certainly worth a deep dive, but a few quick suggestions from Ethical we liked:
- Instead of Chrome, use Tor, a modified version of Firefox that protects your privacy.
- Worried by Google? Try Searx, an open-source search engine that aggregates results of other search engines but doesn’t give out your info.
- In lieu of Slack, try Rocket.Chat, an open-source alternative to team chats (and it’s free, too).
- Dropbox is annoying, so there’s Firefox Send, which encrypts your sent files and uses a link that automatically expires.
- Buying from a store and don’t know a brand’s history? Buycott allows you to scan a barcode to find out everything you need to know about a company.
- If Airbnb’s ideology leaves you cold, Fairbnb gives half of their booking commissions to community projects chosen by residents.
- If technology is wearing you down, the Slow Home Podcast that focuses on people who’ve happily adopted a slower way of life
This article was featured in the InsideHook newsletter. Sign up now.
Suggested for you