Food Poisoning at Michelin-Starred Restaurant Kills 1, Sickens 29
The 46-year-old victim died after eating a meal at Riff.
A Michelin-starred restaurant in Valencia, Spain is responsible for a food poisoning outbreak that has killed one woman and sickened another 29 diners.
The 46-year-old victim died after eating a meal at Riff, CNN reported. The woman, who has not been identified, died in her home early Sunday morning. Her husband and 12-year-old son also suffered food poisoning but are now in recovery.
Additionally, local health authorities have been able to identify 29 more people who have fallen ill since dining at the restaurant between February 13 and 16.
Food inspectors visited the restaurant on February 18 but did not find any explanation for what could have contributed to the outbreak, which forced officials to take samples of food used in the tasting menu — which includes snacks and tapas, six or seven plates and three desserts for about $150. Those samples are now being tested at Spain’s National Toxicology Institute.
CNN speculated that food contamination could be to blame.
“I have taken the decision to permanently close the restaurant until the cause of what happened has been established and we can reopen with the necessary guarantees for the safety of staff and customers,” Riff’s head chef and owner, Bernd H. Knöller, said in a statement.
Thanks for reading InsideHook. Sign up for our daily newsletter and be in the know.
Suggested for you