George R.R. Martin Doesn’t Think This Should Be Final Season for “Game of Thrones”
Editor’s Note: RealClearLife, a news and lifestyle publisher, is now a part of InsideHook. Together, we’ll be covering current events, pop culture, sports, travel, health and the world.
Many fans are upset that winter is finally here and it’s game over for HBO’s Game of Thrones. Count George R.R. Martin among them.
The 70-year-old writer, who has yet to wrap up the written GoT saga by finishing his A Song of Ice and Fire book series, told The Hollywood Reporter he doesn’t think these last seven episodes should be the show’s final season.
“It seems to me we just started last week,” Martin told the publication. “Has it been longer than that? The time has passed by in a blur. But it’s exciting. I know it’s an end, but it’s not much of an end for me. I’m still deep in writing the books. We saw five other sequel shows in development. I think I’m going to be hanging around Westeros while everyone else has left.”
While we don’t know all the details about the sequel shows Martin was referencing, one of them is believed to be a prequel which takes place thousands of years before the main Game of Thrones series with a cast led by Naomi Watts.
And the good news for GoT fans who are already worried about not getting their Westeros fill once the show wraps is it sounds like the prequel is getting very, very close to shooting.
“They have a great director and an amazing cast,” Martin said. “I’ve been following along closely. I have my fingers crossed. It’s different. It’s definitely very different. It’s set thousands of years in the past. You’re looking at a whole different era of Westeros. No dragons, no Iron Throne, no King’s Landing. It will be interesting to see what the fans make of that.”
The final season of Game of Thrones begins on HBO on Sunday night.
Thanks for reading InsideHook. Sign up for our daily newsletter and be in the know.
Suggested for you