You Should Really Be Using a Lap Desk
If you put your computer on your lap ever, use this
Nota bene: If you buy through the links in this article, InsideHook may earn a small share of the profits.
Working from home for the past year, I was one of those people who thought using a pillow between my steaming, whirring computer and my groin was enough to keep me protect. Or, I didn’t actually think that, but I managed to tell myself as much frequently enough that I was able to bury any suspicions I had about the damage I was probably doing to myself.
Then this past week I got my hands on a very simple and rudimentary lap desk and my world transformed overnight. While it’s not necessarily super bad for you to work with your laptop directly on your lap, it’s certainly not good for you, and it is not at all comfortable. It gets really hot, and it’s tough on the neck and back. It’s just not meant to be there, even despite its name.
Now listen to me: A lap desk does not need to be fancy to be effective. It’s basically a glorified board. This model I used from Lapgear did everything I needed, confirming that sometimes the simplest solution is the best solution. Let me count the ways it (and pretty much any lap desk you can buy) is great:
- It has a padded bottom for leg cushioning
- It has a firm top, which helps to keep your laptop cooler than if it was smothered in the fabric of a pillow or body heat of your loins. Cooler means less fan usage and better battery life
- It has a fold out bottom section to elevate the back of the board to allow for an angled working surface
- It has a phone holder
- It has extra room on the sides for a pad of paper or mouse
- It has a strap for holding in place documents
- It has a bar at the bottom to prevent the laptop from sliding down
- It has a handle for carrying
Getting all that for $35 is a steal. It’s not a work of art or some artisan product you’ll want to show off on Instagram, but it will make your WFH life a lot easier in a very simple way.
Here are some other lap desk options that’ll do the trick just as well.
An Amazon Choice product and only $15.
Saiji Adjustable Laptop Stand
Also Amazon Choice product with a huge working area and adjustable legs
Incredibly cushy and elevated with a nifty little iPad holder thing.
Schoolhouse Lap Desk
This is a wooden one with interior storage. Shoolhouse desk vibes for days.
Adjustable Standing Desk
Use this on a desk or bring it over to the couch.
Suggested for you