Stop What You’re Doing and Watch This Homemade Ad for a ’96 Accord
Looks like we've got a young Don Draper on our hands
If we were asked to define “uninspiring” in a single image, we’d be tempted to submit a 1996 Honda Accord.
Not so the amateur videographer who just shot a trope-heavy “commercial” to help his fiancée sell hers.
Realizing it’d be pretty tough to get more than $500 for 20-year-old “Greenie” and its 141,095 odometer miles, the guy — Max — invoked every car ad cliché known to man in order to make the 145-HP Honda really sing. To wit:
- The over-serious and deep-voiced narrator speaking affirming phrases about why “You” are special.
- Classical music playing in the background while the car’s engine
- Close-up shots of the cars jaw-dropping features: an A/C button, rear-view ornaments, one of those wired cassette tapes that can connect to an MP3 player.
- Lengthy overhead drone shots as the car coasts and careers through a beautiful landscape.
- A tag: “A car for people that have life figured out and just need a way to get somewhere.”
An impressive job by Max — and one that has boosted the car’s price to $1,475 of this writing.
This article was featured in the InsideHook newsletter. Sign up now.
Suggested for you