Rare Blueprints Reveal the Architectural Evolution of the Original Yankee Stadium

A look at how The House That Ruth Built changed between its erection in 1923 and demolition in 2009.

June 1, 2017 5:00 am

During the 86-year history of the original Yankee Stadium, the so-called House That Ruth Built underwent a surprising amount of changes, as recently revealed by rare blueprints.

National Geographic has now published blueprints by Osborn Engineering, the Cleveland company that built Yankee Stadium. While the company sold off the bulk of their archives years ago, some records were left behind. These include a number relating to the hallowed baseball park. In particular, they provide an excellent look at renovations extending the original triple-decker grandstand down the left- and right-field lines that occurred in the late 1920s and 1930s. (A time when the Yankee lineup including Lou Gehrig and, of course, the Bambino.)

Yankee stadium blueprints
This 1927 drawing includes details on the lettering and terracotta ornaments that adorned an entrance to the stadium. (Drawings Courtesy Osborn Engineering)
Yankee stadium blueprints
This architectural drawing shows renovations made to Yankee Stadium in 1927. This view depicts the end of the triple-decker grandstand as it would appear from left field. (Drawings Courtesy Osborn Engineering)


The InsideHook Newsletter.

News, advice and insights for the most interesting person in the room.