Gents, a southern swell is crashing on our shores.
Extend your hand over your head. Now eyeball the distance from the floor to your fingertips. Yup. Sets like that are rolling in.
If you’ve been meaning to get back out, now’s the time.
And since your humble correspondent’s a rider himself, I’d like to take this opportunity to recommend five must-haves that’ll elevate your time in and out of the water.
1. For your board: The Swell Crate, a new box service that ships seasonal needs like wax, socks and premium jerky.
2. For your face: Protect your mug with 34 SPF sunblock by Beyond Coastal; it’s packed with zinc and fully waterproof. Don’t forget your peepers: Otis Eyewear makes boxy polarized shades built to last.
3. For your body: Vissla’s new wetsuits are made from Japanese limestone and sport stylish seafoam accents on the sleeve and collar. Dunstan Surfwear is a virtual boardshort tailor who stitches a wide array of colors and fits.
4. For your trek south: The OC will get the best of the southern swells, as their shores face that direction. Laguna is the best, but it’s a bit of drive. Thus, grab one of the 36 rooms at the newly opened Laguna Beach House. It’s steps from the beach.
5. For your trek north: After hitting surf spots like Leo Carillo, stop at Ollie’s Duck & Dive, a beachy gastropub plating grilled artichokes, Spanish octopus and local microbrews.
This article was featured in the InsideHook LA newsletter. Sign up now for more from the Southland.