This week in Nashville, Tennessee, at the 2023 Craft Brews Conference & BrewExpo, the Brewers Association (BA) acknowledged 307 of the best beers and brewers in the world. During this year’s competition, 272 judges from 26 countries tasted more than 10,210 entries in 18 sessions during the course of nine days. As avid beer taste testers here at InsideHook, we know what important and grueling work this is.
The BA represents more than 5,800 breweries across the country, and this year, the judges selected beers that spanned 176 styles and subcategories. Winners in each category could receive a gold, silver or bronze distinction.
“The World Beer Cup brings together the finest brewers and beers from around the globe and celebrates creativity, craftsmanship, and passion for great beer,” Chris Williams, World Beer Cup competition director, said in a release. “Receiving a World Beer Cup award is a testament to quality and innovation, and we commend this year’s winners for setting the bar higher than ever.”
Does Wine or Beer Pair Better With Cheese?We put the two beverage categories head to head to see which one tastes better with our favorite cheeses
As you scan the full list, you’ll see that winners spanned 51 countries, but the beers in the United States received what appears to be the most wins. While we can’t name every winner in this article, here are some of the beers that took top honors this year:
Coffee Stout or Porter
- Gold: Brunch Stout from Beale’s Beer
- Silver: Mocha Cow from Sunriver Brewing Co.
- Bronze: Coffee Roasters from Uhl’s Brewing Co.
American-Style India Pale Ale
- Gold: Head Hunter from Fat Head’s Brewery & Saloon
- Silver: Applied Science from Sunriver Brewing Co.
- Bronze: Old West from Craft Coast Beer & Tacos
Belgian-Style Sour Ale
- Gold: Vintage 2022 from New Glarus Brewing Co.
- Silver: Chance, Luck, and Magic 2020 from Garage Project
- Bronze: Borealis from Lamplighter Brewing Co.
- Gold: Pumpkin Ale from Backpocket Brewing
- Silver: Pumpkinator from Saint Arnold Brewing Co.
- Bronze: Jack O’Lantern Ale from Bond’s Brewing Co.
Join America's Fastest Growing Spirits Newsletter THE SPILL. Unlock all the reviews, recipes and revelry — and get 15% off award-winning La Tierra de Acre Mezcal.