“The Perfect Collection” of Whisky Is Up for Auction, and It’s Going To Break a Record
Estimates for the 3,900 bottle lot start at $10 million
It seems like just last month we were wowed by a record-setting whisky auction that grossed just under $10 million.
But records were made to be broken, so let’s pour a dram and raise a toast to the late Richard Gooding, whose private collection of 3,900 bottles of Scotch is expected to break the eight-figure mark when it goes live on Whisky Auctioneer in two parts, one in February another in April.
Dubbed “The Perfect Collection,” Gooding’s stash — which features a majority of single malts — includes the largest-ever collection of The Macallan, Bowmore and Springbank. It does also include American bourbons and Japanese whiskies. The Colorado native (and former owner/chief executive of the Pepsi Cola Bottling Company of Denver) purchased most of these bottles at other auctions and directly from distilleries during trips to Ireland and Scotland.
“'[Richard’s] mission was to collect a bottle that represented every single distillery,” as his wife, Nancy Gooding, said in a statement. “He loved every aspect of it, from researching the many single malt distilleries to visiting them and tasting their whiskies.”
- A Recent Sotheby’s Whisky Auction Broke Records. Here’s Why.
- The World’s Most Valuable Whisky Collection Is Worth Nearly $17 Million
Some highlights of the collection include:
- The Macallan 1926 Fine & Rare 60 Year Old: A bottle that currently holds the world-record for the most expensive bottle of whisky sold.
- The Macallan Valerio Adami 1926 60 Year Old: When it went up for sale in 2018, this expression earned the then world-record most expensive bottle of whisky sold. Only 12 were ever bottled.
- Dallas Dhu 1921 Single Cask 64 Year Old: As the Whisky Auctioneer notes, “A historic rarity never before seen on the secondary market, or in fact by a number of whisky experts/connoisseurs.”
You can register for the auction here.
Subscribe here for our free daily newsletter.
Suggested for you