Just six months after Jeff Glor took over as anchor of the CBS Evening News, executives are already thinking about replacing him, according to Page Six. Sources say that the network’s 6 p.m. news broadcast has lost 1.5 million viewers since Glor’s debut in December 2017. CBS News president David Rhodes called a meeting on Tuesday to address the situation.
“He unleashed on the team,” a source told Page Six. “He said how disappointed and frustrated he is with how things have gone.” Some of the anger has also been directed at executive producer Mosheh Oinounou, who replaced Steve Capus at the helm in January.
Page Six writes that many were surprised when Glor got the prestigious job, previously held by such news luminaries as Walter Cronkite, Dan Rather, and Katie Couric, prior to Scott Pelley leaving. Numbers spiked during Glor’s first week, jumping from an average of 6.4 million viewers to an average of 7.1 million. But they have dropped alarmingly since.
However, a CBS News spokesperson told Page Six, ““CBS News couldn’t be more excited about the direction that Jeff and Mosheh are taking the ‘Evening News.’ The meeting as described never happened. What did happen was a discussion centered on editorial and production, not ratings, which is not unusual.”
Thanks for reading InsideHook. Sign up for our daily newsletter and be in the know.