Federal prosecutors and the FBI have reportedly attempted to interview Prince Andrew about Jeffrey Epstein, according to the New York Times. The outlet reported that the prince has not responded to the request, according to a Monday statement from the United States attorney in Manhattan.
According to CNBC, U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman said that Andrew has “provided zero cooperation” to authorities investigating possible co-conspirators of Epstein, despite previously announcing his willingness to cooperate with law enforcement “if required.”
Prince Andrew, a son of Queen Elizabeth II, is among various high profile celebrities, academics, politicians and other public figures whose connections to Epstein came under scrutiny in the aftermath of the wealthy financier’s arrest and death last year. The disgraced investor died by suicide in August while in jail awaiting trial on child sex trafficking charges.
Back in November, the prince announced he would be withdrawing from public duties and said he was willing to help law enforcement investigations of Epstein. “It has become clear to me over the last few days that the circumstances relating to my former association with Jeffrey Epstein has become a major disruption to my family’s work and the valuable work going on in the many organisations and charities that I am proud to support,” he said in a statement, adding, “Of course, I am willing to help any appropriate law enforcement agency with their investigations, if required.”
Despite those earlier claims however, recent reports suggest the prince hasn’t held to his word.
Subscribe here for our free daily newsletter.
Thanks for reading InsideHook. Sign up for our daily newsletter and be in the know.