News & Opinion | June 29, 2018 9:20 am

Woman Sues Chinese Buffet After Contracting “Fried Rice Syndrome”

Victim spent eight days in intensive care after being sickened by bacteria common to that dish.

chinese buffet
(Flickr)

A Texas woman has sued a Chinese buffet for $1 million in damages after she allegedly contracted “fried rice syndrome” from eating there. Germaine Mobley, 62, claims that she went to Asian King Buffet in Waxahachie for a lunch in 2016, which ended up making her so sick she had to be admitted into an intensive care unit. Mobley’s lawsuit said that she was sickened by bacillus cereus, also known as “fried rice syndrome,” a type of bacteria often found in foods kept at room temperature. Mobley said everything tasted fine while she was there, but that she started to feel sick on the drive home. She went to the hospital next day when she continued to get worse.

“I just started vomiting,” she told WFMY. “The next morning, I was having problems breathing, so my husband called an ambulance.”

She remained in the ICU for eight days and according to the Dallas Morning News, had to be put on a ventilator.

“’Fried rice syndrome’ sounds like a joke, but it’s very serious,” Mobley’s attorney Kathryn Knotts told the News.

 King Asian Buffet has denied that their food is the reason Mobley got sick.