Turns out pretending you already have the job isn’t the answer.
Glassdoor, a jobs and recruiting site, recently compiled 27 of the toughest job interview questions. The positions cover a myriad of industries, from data analyst to flight attendant to test operations engineer.
Some of our favorites:
- How many fire hydrants are there in Los Angeles County? (Software Engineer, Disney Interactive Studios)
- If you could take anyone on a road trip with you, who would you take and why? (Educator, lululemon)
- Sell me on one idea, and then sell me on the opposite of that idea. (Solarwinds Administrator, Blizzard Entertainment)
- If a coworker had an annoying habit, and it hindered your quality of work, how would you resolve it?” (Production Technician, Procter & Gamble)
- Throw your resume aside and tell me what makes you you.” (Sales Executive, Zillow)
The company suggests some obvious solutions when faced with difficult questions: research the company beforehand, practice answers in the mirror, stock up on questions to ask the interviewer and dress the part. Yawn. Better advice: Use Glassdoor’s “Search interview questions” feature to find out what people are asking at each company.
And if a job you covet has a reputation for tough interviews, take heart: according to Glassdoor’s chief economist, difficult job interviews lead to more satisfied employees. So everyone at Amazon must be f*cking delirious with joy.