Tom Brady Lost $5 Million Betting on Himself
Brady did earn $14 million this season and helped guide the Pats for an 11-5 record.
This season, incentives in Tom Brady’s contract would have paid him $1 million apiece for doing any of the following:
(1) finishing in the top five in passer rating
(2) finishing in the top five in completion percentage
(3) finishing in the top five in yards per attempt
(4) finishing in the top five in touchdown passes
(5) finishing in the top five in passing yards
When the regular season wrapped up on Sunday with the Patriots dismantling the Jets 38-3, Brady – despite tossing four touchdowns in the win – had earned none of the incentives and, thus, none of the $5 million.
The closest the 41-year-old got was finishing seventh in passing yards (4,355). Brady also finished 10th in touchdown passes (29) but was outside the top 10 in the other three categories.
It wasn’t all bad for Brady as he still earned $14 million this season and helped guide the Pats to an 11-5 record and a first-round bye in the playoffs.
It’s the 10th straight year the Patriots have made the playoffs and the 9th straight season they will not have to play on Wild Card Weekend.
Suggested for you