José Altuve Says the Astros Will Return to the World Series Despite Sign-Stealing Scandal

Alex Bregman, however, remained tight-lipped about the scandal

Report: Astros Stole Signs Electronically During 2017 World Series Run
Carlos Correa and Jose Altuve pose for a photo with the Commissioner's Trophy. (Alex Trautwig/MLB via Getty)
By Bonnie Stiernberg / January 19, 2020 10:13 am

Despite the firings of their manager and general manager, the loss of some draft picks and a $5 million fine in the wake of the Astros’ sign-stealing scandal, José Altuve told fans and reporters at the team’s annual winter festival on Saturday (Jan. 18) that he’s confident they will return to the World Series this season.

“Believe me, in the end of the year, everything will be fine,” he said. “We’re going to be in the World Series again. People don’t believe it, we will. We will. We made it last year, we were one game away of winning it all.”

There has been speculation online in recent days over whether Altuve was wearing a buzzer or some other electronic device under his jersey that would alert him of certain pitches — something he denies.

“You know, we all know that some people made that up,” he said. “And like I said, the best thing to happen to me was the MLB investigate that and they didn’t find something.”

While Altuve was willing to discuss the allegations, Alex Bregman remained tight-lipped, repeating the same line over and over to any reporter who tried to get him to comment. “The commissioner made his report, made his decision, and the Astros made their decision,” Bregman said. “And I have no further comment on it.”

Subscribe here for our free daily newsletter.

Daily Brief

News From Around the Web

February 20, 2020 February 19, 2020