Twitter Is “Deeply Sorry” for Not Taking Down Alleged Pipe Bomber’s Tweets
The suspect seemingly threatened a Democratic congressional press secretary earlier this month.
Twitter is now apologizing for refusing to take down a seemingly threatening tweet sent earlier this month from pipe bomb suspect Cesar Sayoc to a Democratic congressional press secretary.
“Hug your loved ones real close every time you leave home,” Sayoc tweeted at Rochelle Ritchie after she appeared on Fox News. Ritchie says she complained about the message to Twitter to no avail.
The social media site had told Ritchie on Oct. 11 that the tweet did not violate its abusive behavior rules.
But the platform walked back that initial decision after Sayoc was arrested for allegedly sending out at least 13 pipe bombs in the mail to prominent Democrats and critics of President Trump, calling it a mistake, The Associated Press reported.
A rep Twitter said the company was “deeply sorry,” that Sayoc’s message was clearly an abuse and that it should have been removed immediately.
Sayoc’s account has since been suspended.
15 Things to Know Today, from RealClearLife
Everything to Know, via RealClearLife