The Best Halloween Costumes That Can Also Be Part of Your Everyday Wardrobe
From Cliff Booth to Kanye at Coachella to Mister Rogers
On Halloween, most of us fall somewhere between Heidi Klum and Jim Halpert. That is, we’re not going to win any $1,000 costume contests, but we’ve also been around the pumpkin patch long enough to know that no one is too cool to don a costume for one night (or two, depending on how many parties you’ve been invited to). But there’s got to be a better way than shelling out $100 every year for a costume that’ll just sit in a box for the rest of eternity.
There most certainly is, and we’re here to show you the way. Now that we as a society have generally shifted away from the ghouls and goblins to pop culture costumes, all you have to do is pick a distinct enough TV or movie character, musician, meme or other well-known figure that people will recognize them through a couple strategic garments, but who also wears clothes that you can employ in your wardrobe the rest of the year.
For example, Eddie Murphy as Dolomite is out because there’s no way you’re pulling off satin-accented paisley suits Monday through Friday. Same goes for the Joker. On the other end of the spectrum is something like Downton Abbey, which is also out because done up in white tie attire you could be anyone. Below, we’ve detailed five costumes with the two essential garments you’ll need, and that you’ll be able to put away in your closet and dresser (instead of under the bed) come November 1.
Cliff Booth from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
- Pit bull
Theo Decker from The Goldfinch
- Jacket: Tailored Herringbone Coat from Tommy Hilfiger
- Scarf: Solid Navy Cashmere Scarf from Joshua Ellis
- Print out “The Goldfinch” painting, glue it to cardboard, then wrap it up in newspaper and hold it to your chest all night
Mister Rogers from A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
- A true interest in the small talk people are trying to make at your Halloween party
Thomas Wake from The Lighthouse
- Hat: Roll Up Yacht Cap from Quaker Marine
- Jacket: Manchester Wool Peacoat from Todd Snyder + Private White V.C.
- Pipe, weathered beard and complete and total fluency in Melville-ian English
Nota bene: If you buy through the links in this article, InsideHook may earn a small share of the profits.
Suggested for you