How to Turn Heads in a Downpour
Three kits that’ll keep you dapper when the rains come
Chicago, we have survived another winter. That was, uh, surprisingly painless.
Next on the docket: soggy shoes, matted hair and that arachnoid thing in your hand that used to be an umbrella.
That is not a good look, mon frère.
Which is why we’re bringing you three handsome outfits — one for business, one for pleasure and one for adventure — that’ll keep your socks dry and your coif untousled.
What you’re looking for: versatile, waterproof items that you can easily mix and match with your existing wardrobe. The underlying goal here is to look natural but prepared.
Because only chumps show up to the office wet
1. Stutterheim Vasastan Coat – A Swedish mac jacket done up in rubberized cotton featuring double welded seams. ($365)
2. Paul Smith Byard Shirt – Tailored, crisp oxford button-up. ($295)
3. Ministry of Supply Aviator 2 Pants – Dress pants built for traversing puddles. ($140)
4. Davek Alert Umbrella – A hi-tech umbrella with an embedded chip so you’ll never lose it. ($125)
5. SWIMS Classic Overshoe – The easiest, and nattiest, solution in protecting your brogues to and fro the office. ($95)
Because a grown man doesn’t let a few puddles ruin his weekend
1. ColdSmoke Tech Bomber – Featuring a Japanese soft-shell waterproof fabric. ($279)
2. Sunspel Riviera Short Sleeve – Breathable. Texture-adding. Sits slim on the body. ($165)
3. Everlane Slim Pant – Affordable slim-cut chino you won’t think twice about wearing when it’s pouring. ($65)
4. Apollo Rain Boots – Slick, streamlined rain boot that won’t make you look silly. ($80)
Because nature happens
1. Snow Peak 3L Packable Rain Jacket – Nylon and welded seams. Packable. Flattering fit. (
2. Western Rise Bodie Button Down – Water-resistant hiking shirt with a mountain aesthetic. ($79)
3. Askov Finlayson Explorer Pant – Cut to move with reinforced knees. ($218)
4. Red Wing Weekender 3322 Chukka – New silhouette for 2016. Less workwear-y. More adventure-ready. Just as tough. ($229)
Main Photo: Stutterheim