People Are Going Crazy Over This Massive Would-Be Shark Off the Carolina Coast
Sure, it might be a hoax — go ahead, hop in and prove it
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina: known for its beaches, golf courses and sharks of what look to be prehistoric proportions.
Last week, Facebook user Steve Triplett posted the above image with this caption: “My sister-in-law took this picture today at Hilton Head. That is a huge shark and it is close to the shore……and there were two of them! I’m done…”
We hear you, Steve. So do the 57k+ people who have since shared your post. Experts are apparently in a debate about the owner of this fin, but considering it all comes on the tail of a fight to catch a 2,500 pound female Great White in the same area a few months ago, our official stance is to keep a healthy skepticism of anyone saying this could be a manatee, dolphin or sting ray (and a healthy distance from the fin in question).
Other questions to consider:
- Is there a Mariana-sized trench a few meters offshore there? How else could a shark proportional to that fin be splashing around so close to the shore?
- Is the shark in cahoots with this massive gator just captured along the Georgia coast? Or this one?
- Is it three smaller sharks zipped into a giant shark suit?
- Is it a carefully deployed viral-marketing ploy from someone at Shark Week, which began yesterday?
- Is it a misunderstood softie trying to catch its big break ahead of said Week?
Until we get the answers we need, be careful out there, folks.
This article was featured in the InsideHook newsletter. Sign up now.
Suggested for you