“If a man ordered a beer milkshake he’d better do it in a town where he wasn’t known.”
― John Steinbeck, Cannery Row
Great quote, but not true come summer, when some of the best cocktails on the menu involve a witch’s brew of fruit juice, beer and assorted potables. Otherwise known as a shandy.
We dialed a few of our favorite local barkeeps and begged a recipe. Here they are.
Lolo’s Lemonade Shandy
Raymond Mohan, Lolo’s Seafood Shack
- 8 freshly squeezed lemons
- 1 piece freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup agave
- 4 quarts water
- 2 lemons cut into wedges
- 1 bunch basil
Mix lemon juice, ginger, agave and water and fill a Collins glass approximately halfway over ice. Top with a Caribbean beer like Belikin, Wadadli or Caybrew and garnish with lemon wedge and basil.
Smoky Michelada (serves 8)
Thomas Kelly, Mexicue
- 2 tbsp. fine sea salt
- 1 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 3 bottles Modelo Especial
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup Cholula Chipotle hot sauce
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. sea salt (more to taste if necessary)
- 8 lime wedges
In a large pitcher, mix beer, hot sauces, juices and 1 tsp. sea salt. Mix sea salt and chili powder and spread out on small plate. Rub rims of 8 pint glasses and dip into salt/chili mixture. Fill glasses with ice, pour in michelada mixture and garnish with lime.
Andrey Ayrapetov, WTRMLN WTR
- 4 oz. Hoegarden White Beer (or other quality white beer)
- 1/2 oz. Campari
- 1 dash Orange Creole Bitters
- Top with WTRMLN WTR
- Garnish with orange wedge & watermelon sliver
Mix all ingredients in a pint glass over ice.