Like Winston Zeddemore once said, we have the tools, we have the talent. We also have the job openings. Those openings are below — and they're all just as rewarding, if not more, as saving the world from a pantless marshmallow sailor.
InsideHook is the essential city guide email for discerning and adventurous men. Each weekday, we publish a single compelling story about a unique local experience, helping the man with limited time to live life to the fullest. InsideHook currently publishes four city editions (New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Chicago) and an edition that covers the nation. The company is run by Aly Racer, former president of Penske Media. Prior to Penske, Aly served as chief advertising officer for Newsweek. Prior to that, Aly was the VP of Sales at Daily Candy, where she helped lead the company to a successful sale to Comcast. InsideHook is the first portfolio company of Trigger Media Group, which was founded by former Pilot Group partner Andy Russell, the lead investor behind Daily Candy, Thrillist, Tasting Table and Pure Wow.
ACCOUNT DIRECTOR (New York, NY)
InsideHook, the essential city guide email for discerning and adventurous men, has an immediate opening for a full-time Account Director in its New York headquarters.
The ideal candidate will pursue local and national clients and has extensive ad sales experience, specifically in digital media, with a proven track record of acquiring new business, building and growing client relationships, and developing creative, multi-platform campaigns that go way beyond the banner ad.
- Manage the sales cycle from start to finish: prospect, identify relevant contacts, negotiate and secure sales of online advertising and sponsorship programs to premium brands across several men's lifestyle categories (e.g., consumer electronics, travel, spirits, automotive, and entertainment)
- Develop and maintain a strong rapport with clients and agencies
- Create advertiser solutions, advertising proposals, partnership programs for clients and agencies
- Be creative in generating new ideas and materials for advertisers
- Work with the Vice President of Sales and CEO on generating proposals and strategy
- Work with the Executive Editor/ editorial team on campaign ideation
- Analyze campaign performance statistics and recommend optimized media solutions from all the results. Provide on-going reporting and feedback to sales management
- Meet and exceed monthly sales goals and objectives and maximize all revenue growth opportunities for InsideHook
- Entrepreneurial self-starter w/ experience selling lifestyle brands for a digital media company required; experience selling to male audience preferred
- Proactive, energetic attitude and desire to work in a results-oriented and deadline-driven environment. Desire and ability to manage multiple relationships at a time. Team player.
- Motivated, tenacious, and resourceful: works independently, doesn't take "no" for an answer, leader in thinking through and developing necessary materials to close new business. Knows how to sell creatively, not just CPMs and impressions
- Has experience with integrated selling across multiple platforms (e.g. newsletter, website, events)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Presentation skills, both in-person and via sales decks highly desired. Ability to respond creatively in the moment highly desired.
- Understands the value and challenges of selling a start-up brand
- At least 3 years of digital ad sales experience
- BA/BS required
To apply, send your resume and clips to email@example.com.
EDITORIAL INTERN (New York, NY and Los Angeles, CA)
Your dream is to write and get paid for it.
Our dream is for you to write for us, and pay you with experience and college credit.
If you’d be honored to toil thusly, then you could be the next editorial intern for InsideHook — the essential men’s lifestyle pub for adventurous and discerning men — in our New York HQ.
This is a rare opportunity, offering a chance to work directly with the editors and executive team. The role will be fluid and fast-paced, ranging from nitty gritty research and legwork, to writing and reporting pieces and building long-term strategy.
You should be passionate about men’s lifestyle content — read the blogs, enjoy the books, dress the part, and understand that your father, while not perfect, knows a damn spot more than you do.
Helpful: experience with social media, photography, or mixing drinks.
- Research and fact-check various content for editorial
- Participate in publication daily close, including copy-editing editorial
- Write features and curate content
- Contribute to editorial planning and strategy process
- Help manage social media presence
- Collaborate closely with advertising and marketing departments
- Currently in school and can receive credit (or a waiver)
- Applicants must have experience writing and reporting for either their college publications or for other publications, preferably with a style or activities focus.
- Enthusiasm, reliability and a team-oriented attitude
- Quick-learner and self-starter comfortable with rapid change
- A sense of humor
Terms and Instructions:
- Part or full-time availability desired for at least three months (NY only)
Send resume, brief cover letter including qualifications and aspirations, and three writing samples (can be links) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include start date availability. Don’t send your poetry, whether to us or anybody else.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (New York, NY)
InsideHook is the essential digital publication for discerning and adventurous men. We are looking for a stellar LAMP Engineer to join our team. This is a salaried, full-time position with benefits.
What you will do:
- Develop feature enhancements for our web site and strengthen our unparalleled subscription growth
- Assume responsibility of InsideHook's proprietary content management system and sharpen our competitive advantage in the realm of analytics and scalability
- Build RESTful web services to advance our content distribution capabilities
- Design mobile application architectures and take InsideHook full steam ahead into the world of mobile
- A track record of writing custom web applications
- Proven experience with the following technologies:
- PHP (5.3 and higher)
- PHP (H)MVC Framework like Kohana, Zend, or Symfony using an ORM
- LESS CSS
- MySQL (5.x and higher)
- nginx (1.x and higher)
- Shell Scripting
- Ubuntu Server
Cherries on top:
- You've written web applications leveraging the Kohana framework
- Managing these AWS services is second nature to you: EC2, RDS, S3, Cloudfront, and IAM
- Leading the charge on mobile web and app development excites you
- Resolving issues in JIRA brings a certain satisfaction to your life
No staffing agencies or consulting firms please. Applicant should live in or around NYC. Send resume, github handle, and links to sites you have worked on to tech-jobs @ insidehook.com.